Two of the most important things to keep in mind when preparing for your video interview are privacy and space. Having a designated space to conduct your video interview is extremely important as it will impact the way your interview flows.
- Make sure that you are in a well-lit area with minimal visual stimulation.
- Make sure the interviewer can see your face and won't be distracted by anything in the background.
- Privacy matters to help avoid interruptions mid-interview by a roommate, children, or pets.
- Make sure that when you are setting up for your interview that those around you are aware of what you are doing and try to keep children/pets in a separate room.
– Rick, University Relations Recruiter
Check lighting. Most candidates do not think to make sure that the lighting is correct so the camera picks up on them well. Make sure you do not have direct light going into your camera, but rather face the light or have it be on a side of you. Also, check your background. Offices are great, but some candidates don't have an office and use a kitchen table or something. make sure you have a flat background vs a deep background where things could enter in and out of frame and be distracting. – Brennan, Sr. Recruiter